Did you cook bacon today? What did you do with the delicious bacon fat that was left behind? Hopefully, you saved it in a mason jar and stored it in your fridge. If you dumped it down the drain… uhh… don’t do that. Seriously. It’ll mess up your kitchen’s pipes.
Okay, so let’s pretend that you saved it. Now what? Well, contrary to what you may have heard from poorly-sourced studies from the 1990s, fat is actually good for you. And bacon fat? Even better. Here’s a list of everything you can do with it:
- Use bacon fat instead of butter when making your next batch of muffins or biscuits.
- Drip a little melted bacon fat on top of your next batch of popcorn. Then sprinkle some chopped up bacon on top as a garnish.
- Want to have a delicious breakfast but you ran out of bacon and it’s raining outside? Scramble or fry your eggs in bacon fat.
- Add an equal amount of apple cider vinegar to your bacon fat, then add in a pinch of salt and pepper. Serve over a bed of kale for a delicious salad.
- Brown and sauté your Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and other similarly green vegetables in bacon fat to make them edible.
- Butter your grilled cheese with bacon fat.
- Add a little bit to your guacamole. Seriously.
- A bacon fat candle. Again: seriously.
- Literally just add bacon fat to all things.
That last item makes the list seem pretty exhaustive but you tell us… what do you use your bacon fat for?