There’s nothing as American as apple pie, but bacon is America’s favorite food group. So, we’re following The Loveless Cafe’s lead and putting the two together for an all-American worthy celebration of the Fourth of July next week. So, ditch the pie top and pick up an extra pound of bacon for this salty-sweet Bacon Apple Pie—the bacon lover’s perfect dessert.
- 9-inch pie shell, unbaked
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups granny smith apples (1 1/2 – 2 pounds, 1/2 inch think peeled & sliced)
- 8-12 slices uncooked Loveless Cafe Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pie shell on a sturdy baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves together with your fingertips until blended.
- Add the apples and toss to coat.
- Dump the spiced apple slices into the pie shell, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Weave the uncooked bacon on top of the pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges.
- For a lattice topping you should have an over-under pattern with 5 pieces going vertically and five pieces going horizontally.
- Trim the edges and pinch into the crust to seal.
- Cover pie with foil and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove cover.
- Continue baking for 15 minutes until golden brown and bacon is crisp.
- Let pie cool for 1 hour before cutting.
This recipe was adapted from The Loveless Cafe.