Everybody loves french toast. It’s chewy, crunchy, and delicious. Everybody also loves bacon. It’s pure happiness in food form. So, why not combine the two? Our friend Serena from Domesticate Me! did just that. Grab a fork and do yourself a favor by checking out the recipe below.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (Use as much as you like.)
- 8-10 strips of bacon (Obviously, use as much as you like.)
- 8 slices bread
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large bananas
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Maple syrup
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- You know the drill, Baconeers. Arrange your strips of beautiful bacon on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until nice and crispy. Drain on paper towel.
- Slice the bananas into ½-inch discs at a slight angle.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan, then add the brown sugar and bananas. Stir for 1 minute until the bananas are softened and beginning to caramelize.
- Add your bourbon and cook for another 30 seconds until the caramel thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread peanut butter on one side of each slice of bread and lay a nice thick layer of bacon on top of the peanut butter (our favorite part). Close the sandwiches and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Soak each sandwich in the custard for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Heat butter in a large pan and cook soaked sandwiches for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from the pan. Repeat for each sandwich.
- Slice your French toast in half diagonally (so we can see the bacon inside, of course), and re-warm your caramelized bananas before you place it on the toast.
- Serve with maple syrup and don’t forget to crumble the extra bacon on top as your final touch.
This recipe was adapted from Serena at Domesticate Me!
Want more Baconeer recipes?
If so, sign up to become a Baconeer and get access to exclusive recipes, contests, crispy bacon news, and other delicious bacon bits. Fill out the form below and make sure to let us know what you’re interested in.