- 1 3/4 pounds bacon
- 8 ounces uncooked cellentani (corkscrew-shaped) macaroni
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp colby jack cheese
- 1/2 cup (about 1 ounce) grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch fresh basil, chopped
- Weave one pound of your bacon into a tight-knit square (that’s the size of your pie tin).
- Take the weave of bacon, flip it into your pie tin, and press firmly. It will make the bacon the shape of the tin.
- Make another weave of bacon using the remaining 3/4 pounds.. This second weave of bacon will serve as the lattice top of the pie, so leave some space in between the pieces of bacon.
- Place the bacon pie crust and lattice top on separate baking sheets and cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Using two separate baking sheets, place the bacon pie crust and lattice top on each. Cook both at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, boil the macaroni by using the directions on the package. When it is done cooking, drain it and place it aside. (Free preview of the finished baconcoction below.)
- Take 1/4 cup butter and melt it in a saucepan over medium heat. Then add flour.
- After the flour, add milk slowly but continue to stir constantly. Add the cheeses to the mixture and cook on low heat until the cheese is melted and the mixture appears thick.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Then, add breadcrumbs.
- Remove the pie tin from the top of the crust once the bacon is done cooking. Gently pat the bacon with a paper towel to absorb extra grease. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- After spooning the macaroni into the the bacon pie crust, lightly spread breadcrumbs over the mac-n-cheese.
- Scatter nutmeg and basil leaves on top. Take the bacon lattice top and cover the pie. Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, let cool, and enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from Dude Foods.
Want more Baconeer recipes?
If so, sign up to become a Baconeer and get access to exclusive recipes, contests, crispy bacon news, and other delicious bacon bits. Fill out the form below and make sure to let us know what you’re interested in.