For the dough:
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⅛ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing on the formed pretzels
- Kosher salt for sprinkling on the pretzels
For the filling:
- 2 cups scrambled eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
For the soaking liquid:
- 2 cups boiling water
- ¼ cup baking soda
- Combine the yeast, sugar, and water and let the mixture sit.
- As it becomes frothy, add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix until a ball forms. Then remove the dough and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough for about 5 minutes and place it in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and allow it to rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick paper and roll the dough into a log. Cut it up into 6 even pieces.
- Flatten each piece of dough and add the scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon to each. How much you use is up to you (we recommend the bacon ratio be disproportionately high.)
- Fold the edges of the dough over the fillings. Pinch and roll to seal.
- Add the formed pretzels to a pot of cooled baking soda water. Let sit for about 2 minutes while casually flipping them.
- Place on the baking sheet. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the pretzels at 475° F for between 7-10 minutes, or until they are golden brown, crispy and, your mouth is salivating.
- Now comes the fun part. Dig into your salty, warm, melted, crunchy, savory, amazing, delicious… we could keeping but just enjoy. You’ve earned it.
This recipe is adapted from Yes To Yolks.
Want more Baconeer recipes?
If so, sign up to become a Baconeer and get access to exclusive recipes, contests, crispy bacon news, and other delicious bacon bits. Fill out the form below and make sure to let us know what you’re interested in.