We know there are a lot of “facts” floating around about bacon that are just plain untrue. But we’re not here to talk about the bad, however ridiculous they may be. We want to talk about the truth: how much America loves bacon. Here are seven of the most important facts about bacon:
- 65% of Americans would support bacon as our national food. Sorry, Ben Franklin, but turkey loses again.
- The average person eats 17.9 pounds of bacon per year. This seems a little low but not everybody can be as inspiring as our Baconeers.
- Bacon sales reached $4 billion in the United States in 2013. That’s how much money the 2014 World Cup brought in. America: 1, Soccer: 0.
- There is a patron saint of bacon. His name is Saint Anthony the Abbott and he’s a hero.
- Bacon has existed since at least 1500 B.C. It’s a revered, noble, and ancient delicacy that has persisted throughout the ages, which is unsurprising because it’s literally the best thing in the world.
- There is scientific evidence that bacon cures hangovers. Trust us, we checked the facts.
- Bacon-scented cologne exists. This cologne has been proven to make the wearer appear more attractive 92% of the time. We bet our bacon on it.
Now that you’ve whetted your appetite (and your brain), grab another pack of bacon and chow down.
Want more Baconeer tips?
If so, sign up to become a Baconeer and get access to exclusive recipes, contests, crispy bacon news, and other delicious bacon bits. Fill out the form below and make sure to let us know what you’re interested in.