There’s a lot of debate going around about the “right” or “best” way to cook bacon. Some swear by a cast iron griddle, some are convinced the oven is the way to go, and others believe a microwave gets the job done just fine. Whichever way you choose to cook up some heavenly bacon, there might be some mistakes you make along the way. Here’s how to avoid them.
- Use a thick pan: Thin and non-stick pans get hot very quickly, which makes it easy to burn your bacon. Try a cast iron pan to cook it evenly if you have one, or use low-to-medium heat on a thinner pan.
- Start with a cool pan: While the sizzle from slapping bacon down onto a steaming pan is incredibly satisfying, it’s not the best thing for your bacon. If the bacon is in the pan as it heats up, the fat liquefies slowly, making for a perfectly crispy texture.
- Rotate the pan: If you’re using the oven, remember to rotate the pan halfway through cooking. That way you won’t be stuck with bacon that’s half-burnt and half-chewy.
- Leave some space: Keep about 1 inch between each strip of bacon. Overcrowding prevents the heat from circulating evenly. If your bacon has some personal space, it will cook much more evenly.
- Strain that grease: Remember all those great ideas for reusing bacon grease? Try straining it before you save it to catch any burnt bits that might affect the flavors of the foods you cook with it later.
- Add some water: Bear with us here… this tip is only for the adventurous. Starting with a thin layer of water on the bottom of the pan keeps the bacon from scorching and splattering, making it less likely to burn. Once all the water has evaporated, be sure to flip the bacon every 20 seconds. Keep in mind that this slows down the process a little bit. The cooking time is closer to 15 minutes. If you’re legitimately that patient with your bacon, give this a go and let us know what you think.
Now that you’ve got that down, go make some perfect bacon and send it our way.
Want more articles like this?
If so, sign up to become a Baconeer and get access to exclusive recipes, contests, crispy bacon news, and other delicious bacon bits. Fill out the form below and make sure to let us know what you’re interested in.